Medicare AARP advantage Plans (Medigap)

2019 Medicare AARP advantage Plans (Medigap)

Original Medicare, i.e. Part A and Part B, covers for many of your health services and supplies, but not all of it. That is why you may want to consider a Medicare AARP advantage plan, also called Medigap. Unlike Medicare, private insurance companies offer a Medicare AARP advantage plan. These Medigap plans help pay part of the medical and hospital costs that is not covered by Original Medicare, such as co pays, co insurance, and annual deductibles.  Some AARP advantageal Medicare plans also help pay for some services that Original Medicare does not cover, like: Emergency overseas protection or Part B deductible. 2 out of 10 Medigap plans include an annual limit that does not include Original Medicare. A Medigap policy basically fills in the “gaps” which exist in the original Medicare coverage.

This is a general description of how Medicare’s AARP advantageal plans work, the types of benefits they cover, and how to enroll.  How do complementary Medicare (Medigap) plans work with Medicare?

Medigap plans AARP advantage your original Medicare benefits, which is why these guidelines are also called Medicare AARP advantageal plans. You must be enrolled for Original Medicare to qualify for Medigap cover, and you must remain in Original Medicare for your health and medical coverage. Medicare AARP advantageal plans are not independent services.  Depending on the state in which you live, you may not be eligible for Medicare AARP advantage coverage if you are below 65 and have Medicare because of a disability, end-stage kidney disease, or amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. It is not necessary for states to provide Medigap coverage to seniors below 65 years of age. If you are below 65 and you signed up for Original Medicare, confirm with the National Insurance Department if you have the right to sign up for a Medicare AARP advantage Plan.

Keep in mind that Medigap plans do not include coverage for prescription drugs (Part D). Therefore, if you need help with drug costs, you must enroll in a separate Medicare prescription drug plan. Also, you cannot make use of Medigap plan to cover expenses you may have incurred with a Medicare Advantage plan. Medicare AARP advantageal insurance can only be used to cover costs in Original Medicare.

If you have Original Medicare and a Medicare AARP advantage plan, Original Medicare pays first and your Medigap policy eliminates the cost gap. For example, suppose you have an ambulance bill of $5,000 and have already met the annual Medicare Part B deductible. Medicare Part B pays 80% of your ambulance bill. If you are a beneficiary of a Medigap plan that pays for partial payments and coinsurance expenses, your Medigap insurance will pay the remaining 20% ​​of the coinsurance costs of your $ 5,000 ambulance bill. Some AARP advantageal Medicare plans may also cover the Part B deductible.

What types of coverage are not included in the Medicare AARP advantage?  As a Medicare beneficiary, you can also participate in other types of coverage either through other sources or the Medicare program, such as an employer. When registering for the first time in Original Medicare, complete the “Initial Sign up Questionnaire” form and you will be asked if you enjoy other types of insurance.